Tuesday 21 October 2008

Intae Chicken


A new “Chicken Cottage” has recently opened on Glasgow’s Sauchiehall Street. Interestingly the first restaurant on the street dedicated to fired chicken (and lamb chops). I’ve noticed these guys seem to be becoming somewhat of a Super Power in the world of processed chicken fast food, with rapid expansion of their diners around most UK cities. And being a fan of the food in general and having never tasted a Chicken Cottage in my life I felt now was the time to see what the Cottage had to offer. 

Naively I order the most expensive chicken burger on the menu the modest “Spicy Mountain”. Which looked like the KFC tower, with hash brown, cheese and slab /lump of fried chicken together with lettuce and mayonnaise – “all good” I thought. But to my surprise the burger was actually pure shite…. all of this rammed together in the bun tasted like a hot meaty mush. A bit too ambitious in their efforts, clearly taking away from the flavours of the coated chicken crumbs, which is what I believe can really make a chicken burger become like a cat amongst pigeons.

This all made me realise that when it comes to a fast fried chicken burger, the simple approach is almost certainly the best. A fine seeded bun, with a perfectly fried piece of finely coated chicken, fresh lettuce, a dollop of mayonnaise is all that is required to make – for me - a fried chicken perfection. So the Spicy Mountain made me feeling a little frustrated at my choice. But I suspect the other burger wouldn’t have been much better. As for the place itself generic high street chicken, but with the added bonus of internet access and plasma screens pumping out the latest chart smash, all very good and well, but my primary concern was the product itself and except for having Irn Bru as a drinks choice, was a big let down. It’s clear that Chicken Cottage is a follower and not a leader in the fried chicken business. I’m aware in my quest for the perfect Chicken Burger I’m going to have to look a little harder than Glasgow city centre.

2/5

Grotti, October 2009

No comments: